What is the Difference Between a Cookout and a Barbecue?

Wouldn't it be fun to be in line for this spread?

You know, this is a really interesting question.  What is the difference between the terms 'Barbeque' and 'Cookout'?  As you may already know, whenever you google the two terms, slightly different stuff pops up for each one.  And if you talk to any serious grill folks you're likely to get lectured on mistaking one for the other.  So in this post, let's clear up all of the confusion shall we?

First, a little background from my experience.  I have never really understood there to be a distinction between one or the other.  Actually for quite some time I used the terms interchangeably when referring to outdoor cooking.  The interesting thing is I wasn't even aware there was a difference until I had moved down south some years back.

I can't remember exactly where I was, but I do remember kickin it with the guy manning the grill and mistakenly referring to his fare as "barbecue."  Man, did he let me have it!  After my mistake, I got a quick schooling in the meaning of each term (and an insult in being one of them know-nothin' so-and-so's from up north.  I didn't really appreciate that.).  For the record, we were enjoying a "cookout" that day.




Here it is

There's not much to this, but the specific meaning for each one is interesting.  If you want the academic definitions of Barbecue and Cookout click those links.  That's wikipedia breaking it down academically.  But if you wanna know your stuff for the next outdoor eatin' party you go to, then listen up.  

Barbecue is food that is slow cooked.  That usually means meats like ribs, chicken or beef.  I've known some southerners to even do deer and other 'game' this way.  These foods are cooked in a smoker with wood over low heat for hours on end.  12 or 18 hours is not unusual when you're talking about slow cooked meat.  And yes, typically there is barbecue sauce involved.  Whenever you go to a barbecue joint or see those fellas on the side of the road selling plates out of an oil drum, you're eating barbecue.  Southern folks know how to do this right.

Cookout food on the other hand is anything that is cooked on a grill.  Gas or charcoal, this is how you cook your hamburgers and hot dogs, steaks, chicken, or anything else you can think of.  Yup, this is the party that vegetarians will come to and ask you to throw weird stuff on the grill.  And this is what your company's picnic food will be classified as.  And you can even enjoy your favorite foods cooked with bbq sauce on them.  Basically, a cookout is cooking your food on top of a grill instead of in an oven.  You know, Memorial Day and 4th of July parties.

Believe it or not, it can get even more intricate from there.  But these two definitions won't let you down.  I do love me some barbecue, but what I talk about is grilling.  And yes, I also use both terms to refer to the same thing (grilling) even though I know better.  My whole deal is that I do it out of habit, and honestly, people that aren't seriously into it don't really care.  Now you know.  So get out there and start cooking.  Or barbecuing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment